During the first half of the 2017-2018 league year, JLNVB members dedicated over 1,000 hours of volunteer service to the South Hampton Roads community! We have established new partnerships with Naval Medical Center Portsmouth Pediatric Clinic, the Salvation Army, and the Ronald McDonald House. Also, we have re-energized existing relationships with Union Mission Ministries, Park Place Child Life Center, the H.E.R. Shelter, the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia, St. Mary’s Home, and YWCA South Hampton Roads.
LITTLE HANDS, BIG DIFFERENCE: In support of the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Mayflower Marathon Food Drive, the Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach hosted its 7th Annual Little Hands, Big Difference on November 18, 2017 at The Williams School in Norfolk. This fun-filled day is dedicated to teaching children the importance of volunteering, giving thanks, and eating healthy. All activities focused on giving back to those in our community that were in need during this holiday season. While at a new location, this event was once again extremely successful and we look forward to partnering with The Williams School again in the future. They provided a number of supplies at no cost, published our event in their newsletter, and hosted a food drive at the school the week prior in which more than 30 kids participated. Under the leadership of our Children’s Initiatives Committee, attendees:
- Collected 1,488 meals for the Foodbank
- Assembled 152 toiletry kits for HER shelter and ForKids
- Made 12 fleece blankets for sick and injured children
- Made 35 bird feeders for local gardens
- Colored more than 40 placemats for a senior center’s upcoming Christmas dinner
- Mixed 107 containers of trail mix friendship snacks for local nursing home
- Created more than 75 holiday cards for our military, police, firefighters and Sustainers
KING’S DAUGHTERS MILK BANK at CHKD: Members of the JLNVB are once again working to support Saturday drop-offs for mothers donating valuable breast milk in support of the King’s Daughters Milk Bank at CHKD. Due to the popularity and increasing demand by donors, we have expanded our outreach to a second collection site in Virginia Beach. Our members are now collecting milk donations every weekend at either the main Children’s Hospital in Norfolk or at General Booth Pediatrics in Virginia Beach. Due to our increased participation, we have trained more than 35 new volunteers this fall to support our Milk Bank initiative. To date, we have collected 19,423 ounces from 37 donors. This is equal to 77,692 feedings of life-saving breast milk.
GIRLS ON THE RUN: During our October General Membership Meeting, JLNVB members provided a total of 1,385 healthy snacks and two cases of water for Title I Elementary schools in Hampton Roads. These snacks will go towards young girls participating in the Girls on the Run program, which aims to build self-esteem and confidence. Additionally, our members participated as Spark Runners at the December 5K race, which celebrates the achievements of these young ladies this season.
NAVAL MEDICAL CENTER PORTSMOUTH PEDIATRIC CLINIC: As one of our newest community partnerships, the JLNVB teamed up to spread a little holiday cheer to the pediatric patients at the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth. JLNVB collected new toys at the December Holiday Social that were provided to children that spent Christmas morning in the hospital. Together we collected, wrapped, and distributed over 150 toys! Continuing in 2018, our members will be visiting patients twice a month and delivering toys.
JLNVB MAKING A DIFFERENCE: Our members have been busy this fall exploring new community opportunities and staying true to our mission of helping women and children in Hampton Roads. We look forward to continuing to serve the community and honoring the legacy of the JLNVB! Under the leadership our Done in A Day Committee, our members:
- Donated 300 books to REACH and more than $1,600 of school supplies to ForKids to support children living in homeless shelters in Hampton Roads.
- Collected more than 5,200 sanitary items for the women at the H.E.R. Shelter.
- Supported the youngest members of our community by donating more than 640 diapers, wipes, and 60 ounces of critical baby formula.
- Laid wreaths at the Albert Horton Memorial Cemetery in Suffolk to honor our military veterans this holiday season.
- Served meals at the Union Mission and the Salvation Army.