Join us for a week-long children’s literacy event to raise awareness and funds for programming in Hampton Roads.
Did you know: Exposure to reading material is one of the biggest predictors of student achievement, yet 61% of low-income families do not own any children’s books?
We’re partnering with Little Creek Elementary School to change that! Our Children’s Initiatives Committee is building Free Little Libraries to be placed on Little Creek’s school campus and surrounding areas to increase student access to texts as they serve a vulnerable population.
- Make a donation to help fund these Little Libraries. Click here and select “Book It To Bedtime Donation.”
- Start a fundraiser on Facebook. Download our guide to creating a fundraiser here—complete with details on a fundraiser description and images!
- Record a video reading any short children’s book. We’ll upload this to our website and YouTube channel for future programming and awareness. It’s also great content to use when rallying up your friends and family to donate to the cause! Once recorded, send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*If you are a JLNVB member, make sure to register on Digital Cheetah.
Thank you for helping us address Children’s Literacy issues in our Hampton Roads community!
DATA OF NOTE:
- According to the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), 82% of fourth graders from low-income families are not proficient in reading.
- Data from the NAEP also shows that students of color and students from low-income families perform lower on literacy proficiency examinations compared to their peers.
- Exposure to reading material is one of the biggest predictors of student achievement, yet 61% of low-income families do not own any children’s books.