Children who are overweight risk serious health problems, now and in the future. Those who suffer from childhood obesity are likely to become overweight adults; they are also more likely to experience cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes in adulthood. But during childhood, high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and low self-esteem are critical risks.
The facts are shocking.
- One in three children in the United States is overweight. -The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, The Annuals of American Academy of Political & Social Science, 2008.
- Teens who eat frequent family dinners are less likely than other teens to have sex at young ages, get into fights, or be suspended from school, and they are at lower risk for thoughts of suicide. -CASA at Columbia University, September 2007
- Obese children missed an average of four days of school a month, compared to less than a day for children at an average weight. -Pediatrics Magazine, 2005
- Only 8% of elementary schools, 6.4% of middle schools and 5.8% of high schools, provide physical activity education. -Healthy Kids Challenge
- Fast food consumption has increased fivefold among children since 1970. -Pediatrics Magazine, 2004
With the continuation of this important initiative, we have the potential to make a major impact on this urgent need facing today’s youth. As we develop additional plans for the three year campaign, we hope you will lend your support.
For more information on future programs, sponsorship opportunities or guidelines and materials offered, contact the Junior League Norfolk-Virginia Beach at firstname.lastname@example.org or send inquiries to:The Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Inc., Community Impact 227 W. Freemason Street
Norfolk, Virginia 23510-1213 Office: (757) 623-7270 Fax: (757) 623-3932