What is the Junior League?
Founded in 1925, the Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Inc. (JLNVB) is a charitable nonprofit organization of women civic leaders positively impacting South Hampton Roads. We are part of The Association of Junior Leagues International (AJLI), which is made up of 293 Junior Leagues throughout Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America. Together, we constitute one of the largest, most effective volunteer organizations in the world.
Who are the members of the Junior League?
The JLNVB reaches out to women of all races, ages, and religious and national origins who demonstrate an interest in and commitment to voluntarism.
What are the benefits of membership?
The JLNVB empowers women through leadership training and development to take effective action in their communities.
To learn more about membership benefits, download our membership brochure.
What commitments will I need to fulfill as a member?
Below are the Provisional (new member) commitments. (Please see 2012-2013 Provisional Membership Obligations at the link below for more specific requirements.)
- Pay Provisional Dues ($150) (payment plans are available and encouraged)
- Complete Provisional Course (includes retreat in September 2012, participation on a JLNVB committee, and approximately two meetings per month from September through May)
- Complete the Provisional Community Project and Done In A Day (DIAD) Project
- Observe one JLNVB Board of Directors or Council meeting
- Complete one JLNVB training
- Complete at least five (5) hours of service to the JLNVB’s Signature Issue, the Healthy Kids Initiative
- Participate in and meet financial requirements for all Junior League fundraisers
- Complete any additional requirements set forth at the beginning of the Provisional Course
How do I join?
First, please download and review the 2012-2013 Provisional Membership Obligations, which fully explains your membership obligations during your first year with the JLNVB.
Second, please attend a JLNVB recruiting event to meet other prospective and current JLNVB members and speak with current members about their experiences with the JLNVB.
Third, please complete the 2012-2013 JLNVB Provisional Membership Application and submit it with a letter stating your commitment to voluntarism and community service, as follows:
In person: to the JLNVB Provisional Recruitment Chair, Sarah Bell Van Orman, during any upcoming JLNVB recruiting event;
Electronically: to JLNVBrecruiting@gmail.com (if you email your application and letter, please mail your dues check to the address below or bring your dues check to the Provisional Retreat); or
The Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Inc.
c/o Provisional Recruitment Chair
227 West Freemason Street
Norfolk, VA 23510-1213